Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Week 44 - There's no place like home *knocks heals together three times*

THIS WEEK HAS BEEN SO CRAZY.

Last Monday sorry I was horrific at emailing everyone back, but we were really busy with transfers.  I had no idea where I was going and we were sad and had to say a thousand goodbyes, and then at 10:27pm (aka three minutes before bed time) we got a call from the District Leader saying that the next day I needed to go to the mission office in Houston, find my new companion, get the keys to the new car, and drive up to Conroe!  I was so shocked I started jumping all over the place, and I was sad to be leaving but happy, might have cried a little bit, and then it was hard to fall asleep that night.  It was like Christmas Eve when you can't sleep because you know Santa is down stairs putting your presents under the Christmas tree at possibly that very moment.  (If you don't remember, I served in Conroe before for three months and then they took out the Spanish Speaking Sister Missionaries and we were very sad.)

So there it is folks.  We are whitewashing Conroe.  Whitewashing is what it is called when you start from scratch and you have to find find find all the time because you have no one to teach.

The next morning my new companion, the lovely Hermana Wallace and I drove up to Conroe together and I felt like I was dreaming.  I still think I am dreaming kind of.  Hna Wallace is from San Diego.  She and I were in one of the same classes at BYU.  Her Spanish is superb.  Also she is really funny.

This week we accidentally ended up in a family reunion and got to teach all of them.  I learned that if you are being chased by Chihuahuas it doesn't help anything to yell at them in English but that if you tell at them in Spanish they will listen.  We have knocked on so many doors I have little calluses on my knuckles.  I am very proud of those.

And let me tell you some of the miracles we have seen.  We were running late so we randomly stopped and invited a man to English class and he asked us instead if we taught about Jesus Christ and if we could teach him too.  Why yes, yes we do.

We met this one man named Nazario who was awesome and then we couldn't make it to our appointment the next day and we were kind of bummed.  But then the next day we randomly happened to run into him at Subway and we got to teach him and it turns out that he found a Book of Mormon several years ago in English but was sad because he could never read it but that he couldn't throw it away.  When we asked him why not he said it was because he felt that it was something different, and that somehow it was special even though he couldn't understand it.

I cried a little bit when he said that.  Because I know it is true.

We are currently living in a garage.  Normally missionaries stay in apartments but they didn't know we were coming and there was no apartment to put us in.  We will be living in this family's garage for the next two weeks.  But lucky for us it has a large kitchen, two family rooms, four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a laundry room.  Some people here are very rich.  I love our little house/garage hybrid.

This scripture stood out to me a lot this week.  It is Jesus Christ talking.  "For I perceive that ye desire that I should show unto you what I have done unto your brethren at Jerusalem, for I see that your faith is sufficient that I should heal you."  And it came to pass that when he had thus spoken, all the multitude, with one accord, did go forth with their sick and their afflicted, and their lame, and with their blind, and with their dumb, and with all them that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him."

I know that there is no weakness and no sickness that the Savior cannot heal.  No matter how big or small the problem we only have to be humble enough to ask.  There is nothing that is impossible to him- even if is healing us.

Have a great week everyone.  I love you!
Always,
Hna McCurdy



No comments:

Post a Comment