Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Week 41 - Turn left

What a beautiful April Monday!  What a great time to be alive, wouldn't you agree?  Before I get started with the latest and greatest from Katy Texas, what is happening in your life?  How was your week?

This week, some interesting things happened.  I was suddenly grateful that my little Hermanita, Kamrynn, made me watch Hairspray with her over and over and over again when we were growing up because this week I really won over a little girl with my ability to quote that movie.  We had a small Hairspray/Phantom of the Opera dancing/singing moment and I am really excited to work with that family again.

One thing that makes me laugh is that Hna Gutierrez sometimes likes to ask me if I like to make words up, or if the word I just said is an actual word.  Haha I think it's funny she knows I would make that kind of thing up.  But this week we learned the words 'frolicking', 'indigenous', and 'deter'.  In turn she teaches me about  20 new Spanish words.

Normally we get food pretty consistently every day, but this week we had one day where we got fed three different dinners each of them about two hours apart.  Hna Gutierrez and I felt so full and slightly sick after that, but I also felt victorious because I ate every.single.bite.  We are so lucky here in Westgreen to be fed so often.  In Hispanic culture people show their love by giving you food, and that makes us feel all the more blessed.  If food = love, then as we commonly say in our companionship: "Bring it."….and then on Friday we both got food poisoning.  But it was not the same day and to sum it up we like to say that we did a lot of companionship bonding that day.  Haha.

We had interviews with President Mortensen on Wednesday.  That was highly insightful.

Kathy and Armando have five days until they have to move out, so we are helping them.  They like to call Hna Gutierrez and I the beasts because we apparently can lift more than you would expect by looking at us.  I take it as a compliment.  Also this week we helped them at the library where Hna Gutierrez became an expert at small business permit applications and I hurt my brain learning about how to file for divorce in the state of Texas and how to apply for legal aid.  And then resolved once again that I am never getting a divorce.

HNA PROVOST CAME TO VISIT.  She was here in town with her family visiting her mission, as she went home in January, and took us out to lunch at this really cute little Hispanic place.  The food was really good.  I missed that girl so much it even surprised me how happy I was to see her.  We talked each other's ears off for most of the meal, and there may have been itsy bits tears shed when we had to say goodbye to each other again.  Her mom was telling me how much she has changed on her mission and I was grateful to see part of that. :)

We helped some refugees translate legal documents into English.  That hurt our brains, and increased my appreciation for translators.  What a brain workout.  But really it made me so grateful to be here in this country.  A lot of the people we worked with this week are refugees, people who had to leave their homes and their countries and families to come here because they or their children were going to be tortured and killed.  I am proud to be an American, and that I live in a land that stands for freedom.

Something that really stood out to me this week is that God really does hear our prayers.  Even the seemingly meaningless ones.  For example, when we prayed that God would help us find room to eat all that food on Wednesday- and somehow we did.  Or when all of the legal documents that we were translating got blown out of the car and dispersed across a large field and a road and we prayed (while running really fast after all the papers) that we would be able to catch all of them- and the papers flattened themselves against the ground and would not move even though the wind still blew.  I know that God answers all these insignificant prayers because He knows that if we know that He will answer the little ones, we will know that He will answer the big ones too.  If we know that He will help us find our car keys, then surely He will forgive us of our sins too.  So this week, when you have problems, ask God to help you!  I know that no problem is ever too small to ask for help.  Whether it be car keys, a test, or something nearly impossible, God can help and He CAN do the impossible.  We only have to ask.

Have a wonderful, wonderful day!
Always,
Hna McCurdy


No comments:

Post a Comment