Monday, August 8, 2016

Week 58 - "It's not a good murder without hot sauce"

Salutations! :)

How are you everyone?  I hope that you are doing SO GOOD!  Thank you to everyone who emailed me this week!  I was really blessed and I sure could feel your prayers too.  This week we saw so many unnecessary little miracles, and a really big one, and I knew it was because of y'all.  I hope you know how much it means to me and that I really do love everyone of you.

So…this week.  Back at the beginning of my mission they have this thing where they do an evaluation of your skills as a missionary for you and your trainer and it is called "8-week" *cue the horror music.* I always had this inner fear that one day the would send me back to 8-week because I had failed or something, and this week that actually came true.  Haha.  President Mortensen called Hna Homer and I on Thursday morning and asked if we would come and help.  There was only one spanish missionary who was going to be evaluated and they needed someone else to do it.  It was super awkward because everyone else who was there was either a trainer, or someone being trained, and the us two, but we enjoyed it.  They fed us, even gave us extra food to take home, and then we got to learn a lot and do service.  We are super lucky that Hna Homer and I.

We also had another large meeting this week where we got to learn from President Mortensen and to make some plans for the coming month.  It was super exciting and we learned so much.  We learned a lot, which we shared in another big meeting we had in the Houston West North Zone on friday.  We took the best pictures, which are included here.  We decided to take pictures in the room where all the toddlers go during church.  Hence all the toys.

I was also very privileged to meet our new investigators, whose name is Christian.  He is a very deep thinker and enjoys history and stories and talking, and as you can probably tell so far we get a long great.  Mostly though, he wants to learn about God's plan.  He has so many deep questions sometimes we really have a hard time answering them, but I really do enjoy it.  He is a good seed.

In our meeting on Friday, I really liked two different things.  The first: "All men are created equal, but some men work harder in the preseason." (That quote apparently comes from a  commercial, though I can't tell you which one.)  I liked it because it really shows how much we absolutely have to prepare if we want to reach our goals.  You can't just decide one day to give everything and achieve greatness.  You have to give everything every day and never stop.  Second.  We were sharing a story about this track star who talked about how he ran some races and he walked away.  but some races, he could see his coach cheering him on that he ran so hard and when he reached the finish line he no longer could walk and he fell down.  We adopted the saying, "Don't walk away," which I really love because it exemplifies the attitude that we need to have in our lives.  We should never sit on the sidelines and be content to only run a race.  We need to give it absolutely everything that we have so that one day we will fall down and look back with absolutely no regrets.  I don't think you can have regrets when you have done absolutely everything that you can do.

Enjoy these pictures!  Give everything you have got one hundred percent of the time.  Love you all and please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.
Always,
Hermana McCurdy

ps.  Incase you are wondering, there was just a lot of talk of murder going on this wee, and then we ate a lot of hot sauce.  I like hot sauce a lot now.  I don't know if I am ever going back.




Another installment from the lovely Hna Homer (I really enjoy reading her take on the week, it really rounds out the picture)  Enjoy!!

Miracles this week!!

We ran into a former investigator a couple weeks ago in a parking lot
and he said he had lost our number but wanted to start coming to
church again. He called us a couple days later and told us that he had
prayed that he would be able to run into me because I was the only tie
he had to the church. That's the same week we happened to see him. So
we've started teaching him and he says he's been thinking about
getting baptized. Yay!
We also finally were able to track down the only investigators we had
when we entered the area. They had ran away from home because there
boyfriend was trying to kill them...ugh. But we found them and we are
going to see them tonight.
We randomly found this inactive woman who had recently told her
daughter she wanted to come back to church, but she knew there weren't
sisters in the area. When we knocked on her door she said "who told
you to come visit me?" She was in awe that we had come. That was cool!
We are working with her to get her to come back.
She also told us one of our recent converts who lives down the street
from her may have murdered her own daughter...ugh!
Last night we were in an apartment complex contacting some people. As
we were walking to our car a giant truck sped out and almost hit us!
The best part. He's our other recent convert. He almost hit us then
drove away really quick. I recognized him and his truck and so we ran
to our car and tried to follow him. Didn't work. Ugh. But now we know
the general area where he lives and we can try and track him down.

We had Zone Meeting this week and because my companion is the only
Sister Training leader in the zone they "invited" me to do the role
play with her. Every zone meeting president gives out a new role play
for us to practice. So we planned for her to teach it to me and
practice, but it just never happened. So the morning of Zone meeting
we ran through it once and then presented the whole thing to the Zone
and I didn't even go that bad. My Spanish sounded reasonably fluent
and everything.

BEST THING EVER. Do you remember Mitxy Perez? She's the oldest of the
Perez girls from the Oakcrest ward. I love her. I ran into her at the
church where we were having zone meeting and she told me she had just
gotten back from girls camp and she LOVED IT. She even told me she
shared her testimony. This is a BIG DEAL. She's not baptized yet and
she's a little rebel. So the fact that she loved girls camp is the
best! We get to go visit them this week because the Oakcrest ward
doesn't have Hermanas and that family really needs them!

Our church attendance also went up by 10 this week. Yes!

Love y'all!!




No comments:

Post a Comment