Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Week 36 - Proverbs 3:5-6

I am not exactly sure why, but every time I go to write one of these emails, the first thing that pops into my head to say is 'Hey there party peoples!'

Once I heard one of my good friends say that they don't believe in miracles.  Although I can understand that point of view, I am also so glad to know that it is not true.  And if you need persuading, you can use my life as evidence that it is not.

For starters, I taught Sebastian Perez, the 11 year old boy from Venezuela that just got baptized on Valentines Day, how to play the card game 'Go Fish'.  It was really cute.  He was having a really hard time saying 'fish' without a spanish accent.  It was so fun!

We did a lot of family history this week, and the success we had there was inspired.  Elder Murdock had asked me for help and we were able to help him a lot.  He walked out of there so excited he seemed to be floating a little bit.  Also, his companion asked for help, but his dad is from England and his mom is from Taiwan, and that was a little bit out of our range of expertise.  We're working on it though.  We're not giving up!  Maybe even a bigger miracle was that we found Elder Jones a name to take to the temple.  It took us two hours, but we finally found and prepared the name of his fourth cousin five times removed's wife's uncle.  I have never seen a family tree so well done in my life.

This week we went to Houston to have a meeting with Bonnie L. Oscarson, General Young Womens President, and Sister Stevens, General Relief Society First Counselor.  On the way there, we stopped at Walgreens in my old area that I served in in Houston.  There was a ton of black people, and a bunch of rap music, and I felt so good to be back in the ghetto.  Haha it was so fun.  Traffic was worse than I remembered but it was awesome.  Sister Oscarson hugged me, and then we bonded because she lived in Massachusetts and I am from Connecticut.  Good times.

We had a competition with the Elders this week to see who could invite more people to English class and the loser has to bring treats to English class this tuesday.  We won, but not by very much.  It was 90-105.  The size of our English class quadrupled!  (and this week the police came looking for one of our students and arrested him.  He has not come back to English class since.)

The coolest thing happened last night!  We were driving to someone's house when I accidentally took a wrong turn.  When I went to course correct, I ended up taking another wrong turn!  Now we were completely going the wrong direction and both my companion and I were slightly frustrated so we pulled over to a gas station to turn around for the third time- but we saw a Hispanic guy so we went to go invite him to English class.  We had another flyer so Hna Childs asked the other man who had just arrived if he knew anyone that would want to learn English too.  He asked us if this class would also help people learn how to read, and we told him that it would.  Then he looked up at the dark sky, and then back at us, and with little tears in his eyes he said, "God is real, you know that?"  Then he said, "I just prayed that God would send me someone to help me learn how to read better.  And then you guys walked up to me.  God really does answer prayers."

The moral of the story, I think, is one that God has had to teach me over and over again.  We don't need to question Him no matter where He sends us, because even when we are on the wrong path, we are on the right one because it is He that sent us there.  This week I challenge each of you to trust in the Lord with all your heart, and trust His will, and I know that He will direct you for good.  Thank you for all that you do for me, and I hope that you each have a wonderful week.  :)  Remember that there are always miracles if we have the eyes to see them.

Always,
Hermana Madison McCurdy


ps. Franci and Sebastian Perez and us.
ppss.  Then I had another picture but the computer will not let me send it.  Sorry the only picture is a bad one!


This is us being crazy because we were waiting for transfer calls.


This is me with the Fuenmayor children who are being baptized this month.


This is a picture of my zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment