Monday, March 14, 2016

Week 37 - Fruit. Grapefruit.

I would like to begin my email by wishing Sister Wilkins A HAPPY TWENTIETH BIRTHDAY.  NO I DIDN'T FORGET.  WOOH!!!!

Speaking of birthday parties, this week we crashed one.  It was really fun actually.  It was for a less active family's son who turned one.  His name is Thomas Amorim and he is adorable.   The other week we went to visit his mom and when we got inside she burst into tears.  She said that she had been having a horrible day and that she prayed that God would send someone to help her be happy, and that was when we rand the doorbell.

Also, we had transfers this week.  Hna Childs left Katy and actually went to my very first ward!  She is going to love it I am sure, even though she cried a bit leaving.  She's going to do so awesome and help them so much I am a bit jealous.  I got a new companion.   Her name is Hna Gutierrez and she is from Springville, Utah.  But really she was born in D F Mexico and she immigrated to the United States and had to learn English the hard way and she's never had American things like Hamburger Helper or Spaghettios, and she drives like a Mexican and she has beautiful hair and is so nice and even has two last names.  She is the cutest!  Also, she likes grapefruit- so that's a bonus.

We went to a food pantry and packed bags of food for people.  We have an assembly line that we have worked out and it makes it super fast.  I like serving in little ways.  If you can serve someone in little ways this week- do it!

We had a good nice great plains thunderstorm or five this week.  They were really fun.  I miss hail and those big black clouds- even if no one came to church because they are afraid of the rain.  It has also started to get hot again, and the mosquitoes are OUT!  Good times.

Hna Lowry has been transferred into my district!  She apparently has a broken foot and bedazzled her cast.  Also, my english is deteriorating, so I am sorry if I am doing horrible at this.  (For example, I just spelt horrible 'horibble' *facepalm*)

Other than that, life is so good, and I can't complain of anything!  We hit a bunch of our goals this last week and I was happy to be a part of it.  There are so many good things happening here in Katy. :)

I (re) learned this week that faith is like a little seed.  It really only needs three things to grow.  Our faith too is like una semilla.  It really only needs three things to grow- water, dirt, and sun, or the scriptures, prayer and going to church.  What happens when a seed only has sun and dirt? or only water and dirt?  It dies.  Likewise so do our testimonies.  If we only read the scriptures and pray, our testimony is going to die too.  We all know how difficult it is in being diligent in growing plants, but really all it comes down to is having those three things every single day (or every week as in the church example).  Sometimes I think we think that the flowers are just not worth all the constant effort, and yet for those who have really tasted it, we know that it is not true.  As Lehi a prophet in the Book of Mormon says, "And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.  And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted.  Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all whiteness that I had ever seen.  And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy."

I know that this is true.  As we do the things we need to do every day, the fruit that comes will be worth every effort, and that it is desirable above all else.  I hope that we can all do the things that we need to do diligently so that we can be truly happy.  And who knows, it might even be a grapefruit tree. ;)

Always,
Hna McCurdy

PS. Sorry I cannot send more pictures, the computer is being weird.



A very nice person sent me this picture saturday from the Family History Library.  I'm pretty sure this is Madison's new companion Hna Gutierrez.  Thank you random people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment