Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Week 39 - la Pascua

Happy Easter everyone! :) :)

This week started off with a mission wide family history conference, which is to say that it was my kind of week. :)  We are piloting a new thing that family search is doing here in the great Texas Houston Mission, and I am excited for it to be rolled out around the world.  Details to come later, I am sure!  That being said, we are now teaching and helping with a family history class here at the Katy Library.  Family History is amazing, I am sorry that it is almost all that I talk about in these emails, but I know that it and missionary work are the same work, just on different sides of the veil.

We went to the Women's Conference at the Stake Center in Houston.  We got to see a lot of our Conroe friends, and that made me really happy.

Our phone completely malfunctioned.  Technology is moving really fast these days, our ancient phone cannot keep up!

We helped the Mannon (from the Dominican Republic) family move into their new house.  Either I gained a lot of muscle or remembered that I had some haha because I was feeling it later.

We decorated eggs for Easter as a district.  I have never made so many mormon related easter eggs in my life.  I think that the Texas Houston Mission egg is my favorite. 3

This week, the Fuenmayor (from Venezuela) family got baptized.  One thing I learned is that Satan does try and stop it even when you are in the middle of the baptismal service.  Positively though, the hot water was working the whole time, and our investigators got there on time.  We were kind of stressed about it, (**SEE BELOW) but the good news is that the ward did not realize that anything was going wrong, and we learned how to break into the closet door with a coat hanger.

Sorry I don't have very much to say today, but I know that Jesus Christ loves us.  I know that His death was not only to help us be clean from all of our sins, but when we look only at that we are missing the bigger picture.  He really died so that our families can be together forever in heaven.  How beautiful is that :)

I hope you all have the greatest week ever!  And also, pictures to follow.  i have a lot of pictures.
Always,
Hna McCurdy


My companion and I on Easter.


Hna Childs returned for the Fuenmayors' baptism.  Their names are Liliana, the mom, Andrea age 12 and Andres age 9 with the peace sign.


Our Easter eggs.  My favorite is the one on the right.


The district with the eggs.  Notice Hna Lowry on the right. :)


Us looking at the temple picture.  My companion is the cute Mexican one pointing at the temple. :)


A little too much sun...


Our district selfie at the temple.


Our district at the temple.

Madison asked Hna Gutierrez to share with me the letter she wrote home.  I find that between the two of them, I felt like I was running down the halls breaking into the closet too.  I hope you enjoy!

Friday and saturday we helped the MaƱon's move and of course we were in our skirts which makes it a little hard. but it's okay. it was really good! and we got pizza out of it on friday!
so saturday we started out our day by helping the Manons move which was good but hard because we were moving furniture and lots of bags and boxes. then the baptism! man was that a day. 

so we get there and start filling up the font. it's all good. then 10 minutes before it starts people start showing up. Milagro because us hispanics always start late! then 5 minutes and the Fuenmayors are still not here and they need to change! finally they arrive and start changing. by this point lots of people have arrived. then 15 minutes after 12 (when it's suppose to start) hno. Colls llega. he is baptizing them so we were afraid he wasn't even going to show up! then he comes up to us and says the closet is locked i cant get any clothes. gave us a heart attack. he didn't bring any white pants to do the baptism in! so he went home to get the keys. 

we start the baptism because we figured he would be back by the time the talks were over and everything. and he was! milagro! but without keys.... so he opens the bishops office and nothing. no key in there will open the closet. we found a hook and break into the closet! seriously amazing it worked out. then he changes really quick and we start the actual ordinance of the baptism. after that's over and everyone gets food and we finally get to breathe we realize hno. Colls forgot to unplug the font! and it was too deep to try and go in there with our clothes. we grab a broom and tape a hook on the end and go fishing. Well Elder Jones goes fishing. and poor him because his planner and this notebook with who knows what (but it's really important to him) falls in the font! he leans so far that we seriously thought he was going to fall in! they didn't get too ruin which is really good. Eventually he gets it unplugged and the baptism is officially over.
we were so happy they got baptized, but it was stressful! we were running all over the place, but the spirit was still so strong and they were so happy, and i don't think either of them knew anything was wrong. It's amazing that Satan doesn't stop at all. Not even during the baptism. Luckily if we are on the Lord's side we will win!

No comments:

Post a Comment