Monday, July 4, 2016

Week 53 - Land of the Free Home of the Brave

So this week-
We affectionately named it "the week of the crafts".  We made handouts, painted a flag, and painted another flag.

We went to Mission Leadership Council and the power went out because it was raining hard. (Will it ever stop?) but MLC was really great :) We learned a lot.

July 1st, Friday, was my year mark of the day I left on my mission.  I wore the same outfit I wore to Mexico for kicks.  Typically, to celebrate the 1 year mark you go get something fancy for food.  I decided to get Dunkin Donuts from the only Dunkin I have found on the mission, which happens to be in Conroe. (Can you see my east coast showing?) There were four of us that celebrated our year mark on the same day (from left to right, me, Elder Pogroszewski, Elder Heiner, and Elder Sellers) and we happened to have a zone meeting that same day so we were all together.  We put candles in the Dunkin and blew it out.  Time sure does fly.



On Saturday, we went over to Maria's house and talked to her about church and her reading the Book of Mormon.  She cannot get past 2 Nephi 31 because "she is stuck there" and because "She needs to get baptized."  She has been reading it over and over again, until three in the morning some days, and this week when we asked her to be baptized she said she wants to be baptized on August 6th.  I love that woman.  It was a miracle and a half.  Everyone pray for her please, she needs help with stop drinking coffee before then.  We also found two new families while contacting this week, and one of them came to church!!

We also went on exchanges this week, which means that Hermana Twitchell was my companion for the day.  We had a lesson with another one of our investigators, whose name is Elizabeth.  When we asked her what her understanding of the Book of Mormon was (after reading sections of the introduction) she said, "So basically, God calls Profetas, such as Pedro, Santiago, and Juan.  Parts of the Bible were lost, and then because we don't have a prophet on the earth today everyone interprets it differently and that's why we have a billion religions.  And this book is what the Bible lost.  It is everything else that God wants us to know."  (After a moment of shock, as I have never seen anyone catch onto the Book of Mormon so fast, we said,) "Yes.  That is exactly what it is.  Will you read until chapter ten before the day after tomorrow?" (And then she said,) "Si, claro. Aqui las espero." (Or, "Of course.  I will be waiting for you right here.)  IT WAS AMAZING.  PRAY FOR HER TOO.

And yeah, that was my week.  I love America.  I am glad to have a rich heritage of people who sacrificed much so that we can live here today.  So that all of us can live here today.  I love you all!  Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you. :)
Always,
Hermana Madison McCurdy

Ps.  We took some zone pictures.  Go America.  We ate donuts for our one year mark.  And also I saw my trainer, Hna Jorgensen, for presumably the last time at MLC.




No comments:

Post a Comment