Monday, July 25, 2016

Week 56 - Living life in the Woodlands

This week has been slightly epic- shall we start at the beginning.

After I sent y'all the email on Monday we went and said goodbye to some of my favorite people in the whole world and we took a lot of pictures.  Then we taught some lessons, and did some contacting, and then went home where I packed a lot.

Then on Tuesday morning bright and early we went to drive to the Hafer Building, but the car wouldn't start so the Elders had to use their miraculous jumper cables to jump the car.  (I was oddly pleased that the car was trying to keep my from leaving Conroe.)

When we finally made it to Houston I said goodbye to Hermana Wallace, who is training a brand-new missionary in Conroe named Hna Nielson.  they are so cute and already doing fantastic things. :)  I always knew Hna Wallace would be a fantastic trainer and it already shows. :)  Then I met HERMANA HOMER, who is my new companion.  She is from Riverton, Utah, and she is taller than me and has really cute clothes and oddly reminds me of my cousin Avery, which is a good thing.  What's funny about it is that WAY back in the day Hna Homer would tell me all the time that one day she would be my companion (and I never really believed her) but now we are actually companions, and it is an adventure to say the least.

Last week I said that we are "whitewashing" the Woodlands, and I apologize that I didn't explain very well what that means. In the mission, usually one companion goes and another one comes in and learns the area from the missionary who stayed.  Then the missionary who had been there the longest leaves, and another one comes in, and this is how it happens for years and years.  When they decide to randomly mix it up (not very common) and they take out both missionaries and put two brand new ones in, this is called "whitewashing."  Hna Homer and I just replaced two Elders who had b den working here in the Woodlands 3rd Spanish ward, and we are the only missionaries in the whole ward.  We are starting to figure out where everything is and have gotten lost a few less times, but it really is exciting and I like it some how.  We have REALLY big dreams for this place and I am so pumped every day to work on them.  Because we are whitewashing, that also means we had to move in to the previous elders' empty apartment, and that was gross. ;)  Speaking of which, my new address is "26325 Northgate Crossing Blvd #1621, Spring, TX  77373"  If anyone would like to send me mail. :)

So what is the Woodlands like?  For those of you who do not know much about Texas, Woodlands has a reputation of being that super super super rich part of Houston that has its' own everything and is a beautifully planned city and has beautiful artwork everywhere, even on the side of the street.  There are a lot of Argentinians here, as well as Colombians, and Guatemalans.  (These are the Hispanics who are typically richer.) (If I end up with an Argentinian accent by the time I leave here that would be really interesting.)  It was really planned out, so that the Woodlands itself is literally in a forest.  You don't see any of the shop signs until you turn into them and they have all these fancy shmancy statues of deer everywhere and signs that say, "THE WOODLANDS."  The houses fulfill my lack of being able to watch designer tv shows.  It sure is different here, and yet I still like it.  Also, as we have been knocking doors we have found a surprising amount of Asians.  That is pretty cool.  The members here are also fantastic.  This week we became good friends with a lot of them, including the Good family.  The dad is from the USA and the mom is from Argentina and she makes the most amazing food.  They have a son who is leaving on his mission in three weeks to go to the Phillipines.  Also, there is the Orvalle family, who drove us all the way down to the other end of Houston for a baptism and who are going to show us how to make tres leeches cake, tortillas de arina (flour tortillas), and esalsa.  Like the Mexicans do it.  I am so excited.  Pictures to come later.

This week in English we sang "I am a child of God"in English for our English Class students, and then once in Spanish.  We told them that they didn't have toe ing along with us, but that they could if they wanted to practice.  The whole room was full of people singing that song.  I love that song so much.  It is so true.  We are children of God, and He loves us infinitely.  He always wants to hear from us in prayer, even if we don't know what to say or how to say it.  I know that we are His children and that He always wants the best for us.  I know that God gives us hard things so that we can grow.  His plans are always perfect.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you. :)
Always,
Hermana McCurdy


ps. Me and Hna Sandres and Ian


ppss.  Hermana Homer and I :)


No comments:

Post a Comment