Monday, September 12, 2016

Week 63 - frijoles y limonada en polve

Shout out to my Aunt Toni for visiting with Madison while she was in Texas!
Madison references this video below here is the link: Your Potential, Your Privileges 

First of all:
My new address is
15903 Yorktown Crossing Prkwy #1223
Houston, TX  77084

Second of all, this week was a weetle crazy but I loved it.

To start it off, I got to talk to my great aunt Toni on the phone last week.  She sounds a lot like my Grandma, so it was a little weird, but I loved it.  I hope to meet her one day.  She also told me that she does family history work for some people she knows in Houston.  Does she sound like my great aunt, or what!?

This week we also had a giant meeting with President Mortensen, in which we learned a lot about discouragement and also about endurance.  I really liked it.  Especially when he said, "It is when we get caught in the fruit and not the discipleship that we get discouraged."  That is so, so, true.

We then later this week had zone meeting, in which we talked a lot about the difference between seeking vs. finding, and all the things that we can do to raise the bar and not be satisfied with complacency.  Afterwards we received an English Class training that took forever.  Apparently, some of the school districts here in Houston want us missionaries to teach English in their schools!  How sweet is that!  However we are not allowed to talk about church and stuff at all, this is purely English.  Next week we are having people from Salt Lake come and observe, and they gave us really specific instructions about how we are supposed to teach it.  For example, we are not allowed to talk in Spanish.  We'll see how that goes because it just slips out (I even sleep talk in Spanish.  It's bad).

We helped a man paint his house this week and it was really fun.  I felt so relaxed to be painting again.

AND THEN YESSICA CAME TO CHURCH.  This week, we had been fasting and praying all week that someone would come and when we saw her sit down in church Hermana Andreasen literally burst into tears we were so happy.  We are looking forward to progressing with her, and also with a man named Bienvenido.

This week, I have thought a lot about one of my favorite videos, which is about a man who for his whole life wants to go on a cruise.  When he finally gets the money to go on the cruise, he brings cans of beans and limonada en polvo (Powdered lemonade? I only know how to say than in Spanish, sorry), because he doesn't want to have to pay for any of the expensive food.  The entire time he stays in his cabin and looks at the Mediterranean cities that he had dreamed of seeing his whole life, and was perfectly content.  Then, on the last day of the cruise, one of the workers asks him which of the parties he will be attending, and he says he is not going to any because they cost money.  But it is then that the worker tells him that everything, the food, going to the cities, and the parties were all included in the price of his ticket.  And then the man drops the can of beans he is holding onto his foot and doesn't even notice because he is in shock.

I've thought a lot about that man, about how he must be feeling, about how mad he must be, and mostly about how disappointed he was.  It hurts more every time I watch it.  But I think even more about the worker.  The worker carried his bags on in the beginning, and walked by him in the hallway, and never said a thing until the last day.

I wonder who feels worse, the man, or the worker at the end of the day.

Oh how I hope that one day we will not be that worker when we get to go up to Heaven.  But instead, I hope we have that many more people in the party.  Again, here is the link: Your potential, your privileges

I love you all a lot.  I know that the gospel is true, and especially that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and that the Book of Mormon is another witness of that truth.
Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you,

Always,
Hermana McCurdy




In case you are wondering why the elder next to me is standing weird, it's because he always shows the left side of his face in pictures. 


Houston West South Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment