Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 65 - "You're weird- you bleed out of your eyes." -Marvin 9/24

That was the quote of the week.  I promise it's not that graphic in context haha.  And that's a story you'll probably only hear if you email me and ask me for the story if you would like to know.

Cake Icing
We might as well start this week off with the icing on the cake: we got a referral from the Jehovah's Witnesses.  Basically that means that they were talking to a man, who had some questions that they couldn't help him with so they game him our number.  It was so strange and yet satisfying.  We still don't know how they got our number.

Translation woes
This week we started our city English class.  We have two English classes normally, the one we teach in the church every Tuesday and Thursday and the new one that we recently acquired.  It is a program being run between the city of Houston and the mission to give service to the community.  We teach a class to mothers in their children's schools and are not allowed to speak any Spanish and have to pretend that we don't speak or understand Spanish to help them learn better.  Easier said than done.  This week at orientation I got asked to translate for the lady in charge of the program and started to freak out because I don't translate, and then I realized that is one of my skills now.  It was really neat to see how the Lord blessed us to be able to do seemingly impossible things if we put in practice and patience.  It was very nice to realize how far I've come since I started.  And also translating gives you a headache as you put stuff in your head, turn it inside out, and then spit it back out.  I give props to anyone who does that for a living.

Flooding
We had a lot of rain in about a one hour period in our area this week and at first it was completely freaking out Hna Andreason, who has never seen such big puddles in her life.  She also missed all the last rounds of flooding so this was a first for her.  She was terrified to drive through the four inches of water on the road.  By the end she was aiming for every puddle and yelling, almost exactly like that part that Rapunzel does in Tangled right after escaping from her tower, "THIS IS SO FUNNNNNN!"  I loved watching her squeal and giggle at the water.

Exchanges with Jersey
We went on exchanges with the Jersey Village Hermanas this week.  Hna Guiterrez came here in Bear Creek and I went to Jersey Village with Hna Durrant.  We did a lot of fun contacting and their members invited me back to ear more food with them with my parents when I come back and visit after the mission.  They were super nice.  Hermana Durrant is super cute, sweet, and determined to succeed and it was nice to go to the almost ghetto for a day.

Yessica's Baptismal Date
Monday night we had a family night with the Alvarez family, and our investigator Yessica and her husband Carlos.  We called the Alvarez family before and asked them what they had been planning on teaching, which was family night, so we were kind of stressed trying to find a way that we could invite her to be baptized on Oct 29th in the midst of a lesson on family night….When we sat down in their living room that night the dad turned on the computer and said, "Today we are going to learn about baptism."  At the end of the lesson we were all crying because of the love we could feel in the room, and when Hna Andreasen invited her to be baptized on the 29th of October she said yes! Hna Andreasen and I were so happy that our feet never touched the floor.

Conference
We had a women's conference this weekend and I loved it.  That last talk was totally for me.  I sat there and was like, "Don't stop knocking Hermana McCurdy, don't stop knocking."

Charla Fogonera
This Sunday we also had a fireside in Katy and I got to drive on the freeway back to good old Westgreen.  It was so nice :)

Meetings…
Alright, so our second meeting on Tuesday was canceled.  And then we had a different meeting.  On Wednesday we had a meeting in Houston, and then Thursday we had two meetings, one of which was in Woodlands.  It was awesome.  I drove there too, also on the other freeway.  Then on Friday we had an 8 hour meeting with Elder Echo Hawk of the 70.  It was very cool to meet him and to feel the spirit super strong.  Then on Saturday we had another meeting, and on Sunday we had the fireside.  I don't know how we got to teach this week but somehow we managed it.

This week I learned something valuable.  Hermana Andreasen asked me a while ago why Jesus Christ cried when Lazarus died if He was the resurrection, the life, and if He knew He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead.  I didn't know the answer.  This week I think I understood it a little bit more.

He cried not because He knew it wouldn't turn out okay, but because Mary and Martha had to suffer for a moment, and although everything would hurt it would still all be okay.  But He cried because they hurt to and nothing He could do could momentarily take that pain away that would benefit us more in the end.  He cried because growth is hard, but they had to grow.

I think that will prepare me a lot for having a family one day, but it was cool to figure out.

I KNOW THE BOOK OF MORMON IS TRUE.
Let me know if there is anything I can do for y'all,
Hermana McCurdy





Link to the last talk: President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Fourth Floor, Last Door




No comments:

Post a Comment