Monday, September 19, 2016

Week 64 - "montanas"

This week was very unique in its own way.

This week we had lots of meetings.  And some how this week we are going to have even more meetings as if that were possible. :)  This week we had one giant meeting where I got to see a lot of my old companions and it was pretty fun.  The food was good.  Afterwards we went and got ice cream!

El Salvador
This week we also had El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Guatemala's independence days, which all happen to be the same day.  In celebration we wore their colors (El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua all have the same colors) and ate papusas, which is their special food.  Papusas (I don't know if I'm spelling that right.  Sorry if I'm not and it's actually a bad word in Spanish or something.)  are these really thick tortillas that they stuff things in and then cook them, and they eat it with this red sauce, and put cabbage on the top.  I didn't like them at all about a year ago, so it's kind of cool to see how that has changed.

Mexico
Then we had Mexican Independence day the next day, and so we of course dressed up in their colors too.  All the white people asked us why we were celebrating Christmas early, but the Mexicans got it and wanted to take pictures with us.  Lately if people ask me if I'm from Mexico (apparently there are white mexicans) I tell them that my corazonsito es mexicano, or that my little heart is mexican and they laugh.  But I'm actually serious.  Yes we ate good Mexican food that day too and I quite enjoyed it all thoroughly.

United States
The next day we had the Ward Activity celebrating all the different countries, which means that aka it was an activity celebrating all the latin countries.  Everyone came dressed in their traditional outfits and brought their best food.  It was SUPER COOL.  Hna Andreasen and I were determined to represent America.  The ward didn't even own an American Flag, so we had to buy one at the dollar store.  We made this display and brought apple pie and the guy who was going to bring the cheeseburgers forgot.  :( But, our food was the first gone.  We barely said the opening prayer and I could see a bunch of children running around with Oreos.  Hna Andreason also convinced the DJ that it would be a good idea to play, "I'm proud to be an American" at the party, and he actually did it.  We stood by our table and waved our American flags in the air while everyone took videos of us.  One guy told us later it was the funniest thing he's ever seen.  ("You were in a room full of Hispanics, and being the only white people, you waved those flags loud and proud.") Yes, Hna Andreasen is that funny.  And I love her haha.

So that was basically our week in a nutshell.
Don't be the man on the cruise this week.  Or his worker guy either.

Everyone in Connecticut:
GO TO THE TEMPLE OPEN HOUSE.  Ask my mother for details!

Love you all lots, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Hermana McCurdy





No comments:

Post a Comment