Monday, November 7, 2016

Week 71 - "Apparently you are never too busy to be a soccer coach"

Some rather exciting things happened this week.  Let's start with Halloween.

Halloween night we had to be in the house by 6:00pm.  So we carved pumpkins, made pumpkin cookies, Hna Beaty made pumpkin pie, and then I wrote some letters.  It was fun.  I had a fun time laughing at myself carving a pumpkin.  See if you can guess which one is mine haha.

Then we had MLC this week and that was fun too.  Especially the part where I spilled lasagna on myself.  But, it had to happen once.  It wasn't even that bad so I'm secretly grateful.

Remember that cute little lady I told you about from English class?  Well this week she and I became best friends.  Or rather, I lover her a lot and she was just there to learn English haha.  During English class we had our own little English class just me and her and we used plates to practice asking basic questions in English.  Thank you to all who prayed for her this week, because it made a big difference.  She's improved a lot, she is happier, and she BELIEVES in her self.  I don't know if there is a more important quality.

On a humorous note, I had a dream this week that all the missionaries in my zone got turned into animals and the only way to save them was to invite them to learn more about Jesus Christ and the Restoration.  (Funny, yes. Symbolically super true? Also yes.  Not the part about them being animals haha the part about being saved.)

We also have started teaching the nine year old daughter of our investigator Grace, and her daughters name is Carina.  She is super cute, likes frozen tissues, and loves her mom a lot.  If you all could please pray for her and her mom, that would be amazing.

We also started Family History with Yessica, who just got baptized last week.  Our first time sitting down to do it, we found nine generations of her ancestors.  My eyes were practically popping out of my head I was so excited.  She might have been more excited.  Maybe.  For the one thousandth time, I love family history and I know that it is important to the work of the Lord.  If anyone wants to start theirs, I'd love to do it with you in a couple months!  Just ask :)

Then we had a zone meeting!  We made a new title of liberty and very dramatically brought it out just at the right moment.  We all got to sign it and it was pretty cool.  If y'all could also please pray for the Houston West South Zone to be able to reach its baptismal commitment by the end of the year, I would be super grateful. ;)

Something I was thinking a lot this week was Sam in the Book of Mormon.  The first part of the Book of Mormon is about a family who leaves Jerusalem, and the rest of the Book of Mormon is about their descendants.  This family has four sons, Nephi, Laman, Lemuel and Sam.   Over the course of the book their descendants fight each other, follow God, don't follow God, do bad things, repent, and eventually are destroyed.  All of their descendants are named after them and that's how we get names like Nephites, Lamanites, Jaredites, Ishmaelites, Zoramites, Amalicites, Lemuelites, etc. etc. but something I realized is there are NO SAMITES.

Something I love about Sam, is that he's like Nephi's Hyrum, if you know what I mean.  Over the course of the story as Nephi is the good guy and the hero and the narrator and does all these crazy things, Sam is only mentioned a couple times.  But when he is mentioned, it is mentioned that he is a support to his brother, Nephi.  And the more I thought about it, the more I realized without Sam, Nephi probably would have gone crazy and maybe never even would have made it out of the desert.

But back to the topic of Samites.  The more I thought about it, the more I loved it.  There are no Samites.  There are only Nephites.  Sam must have been so humble, so helpful, that when it came down to it all his posterity followed and were Nephites too.  It reminded me of why I am here on a mission.  Often times I think I came out here to change people's lives and to leave a mark and to do something good, but the more I thought about the Samites, the more I realized that:

I came out here to open my mouth so that the SAVIOR even JESUS CHRIST can touch people's lives.  So that HE can leave a mark, and that HE can do something good, because HE IS the ONLY THING that will EVER MAKE A DIFFERENCE and HE is the only thing that can TRULY CHANGE LIVES and CHANGE THE WORLD.  I realized that I can't be a Nephites.  I need to be a Samites.  Because if they see me I am blocking their view of the Savior, and that is why I cam here, so that they could find Him.

That's my challenge to you.  This week don't just be a Nephite, be a Samite.

I know the Book of Mormon is true, and that it's purpose is to testify that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World.  May we always be examples of His divine love.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you :)
Hermana McCurdy





No comments:

Post a Comment