Monday, October 31, 2016

Week 70 - "For the 1st day of Christmas my Heavenly Father gave to me-" "A large Venezuelan family in a pear tree"

This week has been a crazy small whirlwind of ups and downs.  I don't even know where to start.

Ok wait, yes I do.

This week I ate the BIGGEST SANDWhICH I have ever seen in my entire life.  The member said, "I know you won't be able to eat all that.  Don't worry about it though, I won't be offended."  Except then I did eat the entire thing.  I should've taken a picture.

Also, remember that time that someone said that the mission is a giant phone call?  Me neither.  But this week we seemed to have a billion and one for some reason.

Then, we also went to visit the Medinas this week and Hermano asked me how I was doing and then started commenting on the fact that I used to be in Conroe... which I thought was somewhat creepy because he remembered me and I had no idea who he was.  Turns out that he is the brother in law of one of my favorite people and that made a whole lot more sense.  It was slightly awkward and it made me miss Jessica Vazquez a lot but it was also kind of cool.  It's a small mormon world after all.  Even a small hispanic mormon world too.

We have a super cute investigator named Grace.  This week we set a baptismal date with her for the 19th of November.  Her only problem is smoking.  This week she gave us her cigarette pack and asked us to decorate it with scriptures and also with pictures of Jesus so that she wouldn't feel tempted to smoke when she saw it.  It was such a huge leap of faith for her.  I lover her so much.  If ya'll have any tips about how to help people break a smoking addiction and if you could please pray for her, that would be more than appreciated.

We had district meeting with the Assistants of the Mission President on Friday.  Picture below.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, YESSICA GOT BAPTIZED.  It was so beautiful.  And before I even jump into all of that, please let me tell you- filling up a baptismal font is an art-form and it is one that I still have not mastered.

Okay, it was a miracle that we even got to her baptismal date in the first place.  BUT WE MADE IT.  They arrived on time, the English ward cooperated, we vacuumed, everyone helped out, we found a jumpsuit that fit her, and the hot water was working.  Hna Andreasen and I got to fish baby cockroaches out of the font so that Yessica would feel more comfortable when she got in the water.  Everything was going swimmingly except for when the water was TOO hot, and the man doing that baptism wasn't even really horribly late.  We got super lucky.

Yessica is super happy.  We are super happy.  Her family is not complete in the gospel, and we are so stocked for them to get sealed in the temple a year from now.

Last but not least:
Has anyone ever noticed how there are 30 days in November, and there are exactly 30 chapters in 3 Nephi (the most important part of the Book of Mormon)?  What a coincidence.  Well, as Hermana McCurdy's early Christmas Present, she would like to challenge each and every single one of you and all your family members and friends to please read with her one chapter of 3 Nephi everyday for the month of November.  What's cool about it is that 3 Nephi is the chapters in the Book of Mormon right before the Savior comes to the world.  November is the month before December, when we celebrate that Jesus Christ was born on the earth.  I know that as we read the Book 3rd Nephi together that we will be more prepared and ready to give this coming Christmas season.  I know that a chapter a day for the next month of the Book of Mormon can change your life for the better if you would please let it.  Please let me know if you are planning on reading with me.

Love you always,
Hermana McCurdy

THE BOOK OF MORMON IS TRUE.
Also, sorry that this keyboard is broken and that my typing skills are slightly rusty.  And that my Spanish brain is starting to swallow my English one.


Fishing for baby cockroaches


Yessica and family!




It was Gizelle's first time vacuuming!



Us with face cockroaches on our hats...


The district


No comments:

Post a Comment