Monday, November 23, 2015

Week 21: Lots of Cake. Cake everywhere!

This week I learned that in Texas, when there is a tree with a purple ribbon, sash or painted stripe on it, that when you walk past it the owner of the property can shoot you.  Haha I didn't get shot or even shot at.  Just the things you learn sometimes are amazing! ;)

This past Friday was Elder Hernandez's birthday!  Elder Hernandez is an Elder in my district, and the following story is exactly why if anyone in the next two months asks you when my birthday is do NOT tell them, because so far no one knows.  In Hispanic culture, they have a thing when you have to 'bite the cake,' meaning they actually make you bite it and while you go to innocently bite the cake someone always smashes your face into it.  That being said, of course Elder Hernandez tried to hide his birthday, and of course using our ninja skills, Hna Lowry an



d I discovered when it was.  Not only did we get him once, we got him twice and it was only through luck that he didn't get it the third time.  The best part was when he picked up the plate of cake that Hna Lowry had just shoved in his face and shoved it right back into hers.  Point Elder Hernandez.

SHIRLEY GOT BAPTIZED!!  And it was amazing! (even if my piano was a little less than, but all is well in Zion.)  I don't have any pictures of us, but here is one of her and my companion.

I have always been a very gung-ho 'only 119 more days until Christmas' type of person, and that being said, being a missionary has made it so much worse.   On Christmas we get to talk to our families, and also there is just something about celebrating Jesus Christ's birth being his representative and doing the things that he did every day.  The Christmas music has already come out and Heaven knows we have not been able to stop singing it.  This last Thursday as we were listening to a random Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas CD Jingle Bells came on and I bolted upright in my seat, let out a screech and turned it WAYYY UP.  My companion was temporarily very confused as to why I was acting as though this rendition of jingle bells was the best thing I had ever heard, when I explained to her that the guy singing a long was none other than Alfie Boe, a man that I had been listening to for a long time.  I started to laugh at the irony of the situation and also the fact that he had only sang two words and I knew exactly who it was.

That got me thinking.  Can I recognize the voice of God in my life as clearly as I can recognize Alfie Boe's?  Can we understand his counsel and his blessings as they speak quietly to our hearts and to our minds whenever they come?  Do we always respond with turning our speakers WAYYY up?  I cannot always recognize the voice of God so clearly, but I am grateful that, although he is teaching me so many different things, one of the most important things is how to listen to him.  How wonderful it is to me that we have a Father in Heaven who wants to speak to us and guide us and help us :) the heavens are not closed.  Miracles are not a thing of the past!  I promise with all the sincerity of my heart that we only need ears to hear and eyes to see them.

I love you all very much!  Have a wonderful thanksgiving and stay warm and eat good pie for me because we don't eat much pie in Hispanic culture!  We bite cake!

All my love,
Hermana Madison McCurdy


This picture was on the Texas Houston Mission Blog, I borrowed it… this picture was taken at a fireside at the church


Ps. Hermana Lowry and Shirley.


Ppss. Elder Hernandez and Hna Lowry with cake in their faces.  


Pppsss.  My cute friend with cake in her face.  Cake EVERYWHERE!
Ppppssss. Don't walk past the tree with the purple on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment